Friday, March 18, 2011

Depressed Moms and Their Children

I came across this article today on WebMD.  I took particular interest in it because of my circumstances.  As a mom of four children I have had to gain additional insight into the possible affects that depression can have on families, particularly children.  As I have worked on my own treatment in overcoming depression and anxiety, I also have had to work on understanding how to incorporate some of the knowledge and skills I've gained in order to benefit my children.  As I have worked on my personal battle to overcome these mental adversities, it has also become apparent that my children too are portraying symptoms of similar struggles.  I don't have the answer as to whether or not these are traits that have been passed on environmentally or biologically, but I do know that as a mom to my kids, I have the obligation to help them learn how to cope with these struggles.

As I read this article, I was reminded of the standard introduction that accompanies all commercial airlines before take off.  The flight attendants go through all of the safety instructions, including how to use the air mask.  As part of the general guidelines for the air masks, we are told to secure our own air mask before we help someone else. I think that general rule can apply in our personal and family lives as well.  It's important to recognize that our own well being can have an impact not only on ourselves, but on those around us as well.  It's vital that we remember to care for ourselves.

If you're still searching for effective treatment, don't give up.  The majority of people dealing with depression can find healing, or at least some relief from this disabling illness. 

The link to the article is listed below:

http://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20110315/treating-depressed-moms-helps-kids-depression

No comments:

Post a Comment